Hypnosis sometimes has negatives associated with it. I frequently explain to my clients that hypnosis and/or trance is like a brick. It can be used to build a house or to put things back together or it can be used to break a window or to tear things apart. In clinical hypnosis as a part of gambling treatment, we use these skills to help make you who you want to be as a part of your process.
While we are actively gambling we are in a trance state, those who have an addiction to gambling frequently are in a trance state, so using clinical hypnosis as a technique is quite effective as a part of the treatment process.
Some ways I use hypnosis with clients who are struggling with a gambling problem:
1) As a relaxation technique, as self-hypnosis to help those who are struggling to fall to sleep or who are tense or stressed most of the time and are using gambling to relax.
2) As a way to reduce the intensity of triggers that can potentially pull an individual back into gambling.
3) As a way to learn, at a deeper level, what is holding someone back from making progress.
4) As a way to address early trauma that seems to be a trigger for the gambling.
5) As a way to help a client relive some pain during the session to allow him or her to focus on his or her recovery.
If you are interested in hypnosis as part of your gambling treatment, please call me, I am happy to help you.